Ms. Mitchell

My photo
I am a 4th year PR student, from the beautiful city of Tallahassee, Florida. I currently attend Florida A&M Universtiy. In life I have many goals, and I am currently acheiving one of them by obtaining my degree. I hope to continue to studying and working in PR and I'm considering grad school. I hope you are encouraged to read my blog posts!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Climate Change and PR

James Hoggan, the author of "Climate Cover- Up" and a PR executive, reveals how small corporations and self-interest groups have been disguising climate issues. Although the evidence of global warming seems to be irrefutable, there are some who are convinced that it does not exist.This book equips the reader with how to use our sources and to dig deeper than what is presented to us. Research and communication are fundamental to the PR profession and to everyday life.

In the book, Hoggan says that no one was really confused by or had questions about climate change in 1988, so what happened? Hoggan outs companies like ExxonMobil, which had campaigns against the existence of global climate change for years now. The result is the lack of trust and action among us Americans.

People lack trust in big oil companies and corporations. They also lack trust in our politicians and leaders. PR practitioners get the blame for distributing false information and not building relationships among the public. In today’s society, PR practitioners are allowing these experts to justify scientific matters, when these experts don’t even have the appropriate credentials to do so. Money is the driving force behind some of these false stories, but isn’t the truth worth telling? PR practitioners need to start devising a strategic plan and find more ethical ways to turn around on these type of issues.


Posted by Marri at 6:12 PM

3 comments:

  1. I think it is crazy that in 1988 there was no doubt about global warming and now in 2010, not even 20 years later, there is so much disbelief.

    I love the fact that you ended with that quote by Hoggan.

    It has really inspired me in doing our group presentation. I now understand that every little bit counts, that I can make a difference, that I can reduce my carbon footprint.

    He is totally right, the Earth is definitely worth saving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this blog post after witnessing one of the most historic moments in American history. The House of Representatives just passed the health bill, which was highly debated by legislatures across the country. What resonates with me the most is the idea that the bill was introduced based on one frame but was viewed through the lenses of thousands of other frames. As a result, tens of millions of Americans could now potentially have health care. The passage of this bill illustrated change in action.

    After participating in several classroom discussions and reading your blog post, I wonder if the House will ever pass a bill to collectively address global warming and other critical climate change issues. Similar to the debate with climate change, there were opposing views about the necessity of the health bill and its impact on American society. I think its time for our elected officials to become more concerned and united on legislation that will potentially save and preserve the earth. Granting health care to millions of Americans is as equally as important as creating an environment for future generations to occupy. This historic moment allowed me to think about the limitless possibilities this country could reach if our legislators would understand the real issues and create real solutions.

    As you have indicated in your blog post, there is distrust both with government and huge corporations. In the climate change debate, corporations play a huge role in shaping policy. With a recent reverse in the Tillman Act, companies can give a limitless amount of money to candidates to fund their campaigns. As a result, issues like climate change will be continuously swept under the rug because officials want to maintain their offices and corporations want to gain more money. It is time for us to pressure our government to cater to the interests of the people that vote them into office and not the corporations that increase their cash flow. Climate change must be the main topic of discussion in any future legislative debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Hoggans book I have had my eyes opened to how powerful PR is. Hoggans give real life examples on how serious PR campaigns, vocabulary, and using the right phrases to address a sensitive topic. I believe Hoggans addressed his moral responsibility by uncovering the truth, and intentions of oil and coal companies, and the Republican party. He has done what we learn we are supposed to do as PR professionals, he has told the public the truth, given the public information and facts, and allowing them to make decsions for themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Followers