Ms. Mitchell

My photo
I am a 4th year PR student, from the beautiful city of Tallahassee, Florida. I currently attend Florida A&M Universtiy. In life I have many goals, and I am currently acheiving one of them by obtaining my degree. I hope to continue to studying and working in PR and I'm considering grad school. I hope you are encouraged to read my blog posts!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

What is Bitly?

Bitly is a URL-shortening service.It allows you to shorten, share and track links.This makes sharing easier.You can go to http://bit.ly website and type any URL and bit.ly creates a mapping to a much,shortened URL of the form http://bit.ly/18l5h, which is a simple HTML and redirector to the actual website. Some other examples are tinyurl, youtu.be and wp.me. One common trait of the short URLs is that they're just the host’s domain name + some random code or number.

Short URLs were pretty much mass popularized when Twitter was introduced.Twitter only allows 140 characters, so this shortening service is convenient to users who want to post more. The idea is simple, but convenient. Bit.ly offers a service that allows you to make your custom URLs, also.

Bitly is based in New York City and began as a project at Betaworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers